Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Inside the Justin Reserve Isoceles Room



A tour of a few of the wineries I frequent.... first, Justin Winery: to be found on the far west of Paso as one nears mountains near the coast and Cambria, it is the very furtherest out of the "Far Out Wineries' of Paso, and the best known internationally, and probably most highly regarded by the Robert Parkers of the world. Their flagship Isosceles wine (a traditional Bordeaux blend) now sells out each year on the day of release, although you may be able to find it in your hoity-toity wine stores at a nice markup. As a member, I get two bottles a year; I recently went to a 5-year vertical tasting of the 2000 through 2004, and was frankly unimpressed, especially by the 2000, although I think the 2001 and 2004 will be outstanding with a bit more age.

Here I am in the inner sanctum of Justin, the Reserve Isosceles Room, where Justin and his wife themselves pour the wine at their once a year gala. You can see the special lighting as they display the sacred liquid to my right. (The Reserve Isosceles is so expensive I don't even think about buying it). I know Steve seemed to prefer a Kahn Nebbiolo to the Isosceles I poured him last summer - or is it just because Nebbiolo is an Italian varietal?

No comments: